Focus Theme: Monster Mayhem!
Spend a week with monsters – stories, film clips, poems and more. Create your own monster and even make some monster food for your family!
When following links, parents should monitor that children are remaining on that page only and are keeping safe online.
The Monster Crisp Guzzler
Watch and enjoy the story of The Monster Crisp-Guzzler by Malorie Blackman: https://www.bbc.co.uk/ programmes/p011t3y9 Watch up to 10:02 mins. Make sure you stop at this point!
Now watch the ending and compare to your ending! The Monster Crisp Guzzler by Malorie Blackman: https://www.bbc.co.uk/ programmes/p011t3y9
Watch and enjoy this clip from Hotel Transylvania – Welcome to Hotel Transylvania scene: https://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=7niKPYr0u pQ
Investigate some of the vocabulary that is unfamiliar, e.g. trundled, toiling, creation, peculiar, administering, rafters, behold, witnessed.
Discuss the meaning of these words with an adult, or use a dictionary to help you understand them. Discuss these questions together. Then write down the questions and your responses. How does Stitch Head feel about the professor creating all these new monsters? How does the professor feel about creating all the new monsters?
Create your own Monster
Think about all the different types of monster that you have looked at so far this week. Can you design your own monster? What will it look like? What colour is it? Is it large or small? Can it do something strange like twist off its legs or remove its head? Is it furry, scaly, slimy, soft or spiky? How many eyes/ ears/ noses/mouths has it got? What does it like to eat?
Draw/colour/ and label your monster with the ideas above. You could also make your monster with any craft materials you have available.
Create a fact file for your monster. You could do this in the style of a Top Trumps card as in previous units. Include information such as:
Read this poem The Monster Sale by Brian Moses: https://www.lovereadin g4kids.co.uk/book/8711 /The-Monster-Sale-byBrian-Moses.html (You will need to register with LoveReading4Kids to view the extract. Membership is free). Now read There’s a Monster in My School Bag by David Windle: http://www.primarypoe ms.com/2012/07/20/th eres-a-monster-in-myschoolbag/
As you write, keep reading your poem aloud to check you are happy with it. When you have finished, perform your poem to your household!
• You may enjoy listening to The Thing in the Basement by Michaela Morgan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7pQ-18LFYQ
• If you enjoy monsters, you might like watching some Scooby Doo clips (Scooby Doo and the Loch Ness Monster): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYFBRGFxvJg&list=PLPGQ-AmCAGchdmUu2qzJTUjmHFFylucmC
• Watch the following clips, before having a go at making your own monster creations! Please note all these activities require adult supervision. – How to Make Monster Cookies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYacfX8NnoY
– Quick and Easy Monster Cupcakes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI0nq9HL3iw
– Monster Halloween Marshmallow Pops https://recipesfromapantry.com/halloween-marshmallow-pops-monster/
© Copyright 2020 St Saviour's Community Primary School, Bacup, Lancashire. All rights reserved.